The US trade deficit is 53.1 billion as of June 2011 according to the US Census bureau. That means every month we send 50 billion out of this country. The US gets 50 billion dollars poorer every month! Most of this trade deficit is because of oil, but much of it is also because of the types of goods we purchase. A lot of the cheap crap we buy at the 99 cent store and Walmart are all made in China. If we all can just spend an extra 100 dollars a year on American made goods, it will make a huge difference and create jobs here in America. Here are some ways to buy American...
One of the best and easiest ways to buy American is with normal everyday consumer products. The prices are often cheaper and the quality is better.
Here are some companies to support. Click the company name to see other products.
1. Colgate-Palmolive- Products include Speed Stick deoderant, Irish Spring soap, Palmolive dish soap, Fab detergent, Colgate toothpaste and toothbrushes and Ajax bleach.
2. Proctor and Gamble- Products include Crest toothpaste, Gilette razor blades, Ivory soap, Tampax tampons, Old Spice cologne, Oral B toothbrushes, Scope mouthwash and more.
3. Clorox- Clorox has many home cleaning products like Formula 409, Clorox bleach, Liquid Plumr, Pine Sol even barbeque products like Kingsford charcoal and KC Masterpiece bbq sauce.
4. Church and Dwight- Church and Dwight has many products made in the USA such as Trojan condoms, Arm & Hammer baking soda, Kaboom tile cleaner, Nair hair removal, Oxiclean and Xtra laundry detergent.
5. Johnson & Johnson- JNJ has many baby care products, other products like Clean and Clear, Rogaine, Neutrogena, Band Aide, Neosporin, Ben Gay, Listerine, Monistat, KY, Tylenol, Rolaids, Nicorette and Visine.
6. CVS, Walgreens and Rite-Aide store brands- These drug stores often have their own products which of course are made in the good ole USA. If you see Q Tip brand cotton swabs, you might think they were made in the USA but nope they are a foreign product made by a European company called Unilever. Instead of buying Q tips, buy the generic cotton swabs at those drug stores listed above.
Products to avoid...
Unilever is a British-Dutch multinational corporation that makes many products that may seem like they are American but they are not.
Unilever- Dove, Lever 2000 and Caress soap, Axe body spray, Brut cologne, Q-Tips cotton swabs, Sun dish soap, Suave deodorant, Tresemme hair care products, Vaseline intensive care and St. Ives body care products.
99 cent store personal care products- check the label as many of the products are made in China.
Well, thats all for now. I plan on having recurring articles on ways to buy American so keep checking in. Please check the labels of the products you are buying! Thanks and lets keep our money in our country.